Search This Blog

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Finding daycare!!!

Okay, so warning, this post is a little bit of a rant!

I want to start off by giving you a little background. Prior to having Kenna, my now five month old daughter, I worked full time as a nurse. I worked on pediatrics and in labor and delivery. I found myself always judging people, I hate to admit it but I did, about how they could be on welfare and not work even though they are perfectly capable. My thought is there are always jobs out there, even if its minimum wage. Now I am very lucky and after we had our beautiful daughter my husband got a different job so that I have been able to stay at home with Kenna. Now don't get me wrong, I love staying at home with her, but I would also like to be able to work so that we can have some extra money. My husband works 7 days a week anywhere from 12-16 hours a day so he is unable to stay with Kenna while I work and we live an hour away from our family and even if we did live closer, most of them work full time too. Now on to the rant!

I live in an area that has literally 4 hospitals within 20 minutes of each other. Also I am a nurse so I make decent money, but sadly not enough to pay for daycare. I have been searching since before Kenna was born for a place to put Kenna for just a day or two for a few hours while I work. Wouldn't you know that there is no place in my area that is a decent price!! I think it is sad, when looking into daycare I found a few places but I would have to work 40 hour weeks just to pay for them. Now my question is why would I work 40 hours just to pay someone else to raise my child when I can do it at home for free? I will no longer be judging people because if a nurse cannot afford to pay someone to watch her child how could someone working for minimum wage do it? I also searched for individual babysitters and wouldn't you know they want paid per hour what I make at the hospital!! Again how am I supposed to afford that when I have taxes taken out of mine and if I work 12 hours then they would have Kenna for 13 by the the time I drop her off and pick her up! I know this has been an issue long before now but I guess I never realized it until I had to deal with it. All I have to say is what is wrong with this system?

Here is the site that I used in my search for sitters and daycares http://www.tlm.bz/SH7O I urge you to check it out and let me know if you have any success. Also if you have already found success I urge you to tell me what you have done and I will try it out.

Last but not least I wonder if there are any other individuals out there who work at a hospital and if you do does your hospital have a daycare? Like I said there are 4 hospitals within a 20 minute radius and none of them have a daycare. I work with some people who have cut back on hours because of the same issues of finding a sitter or daycare and I feel if I could convince the hospital to open a daycare they would not loose so many employees and could actually save some money.

Thank you for your input!

#daycare #parenting #infant #work

No comments:

Post a Comment